A lot has been going on in my little world. I could probably do 10 on Friday but that isn’t as cute and I need to get down to business!
1. I got a new job! And it is related to my degree! This is great news. I am so excited to be using my education. Of course, it means more studying, but that is ok. I had the pleasure of getting fingerprinted for it, which is always interesting. I have now been fingerprinted 5 times. One time with ink. That was no bueno. I was in a suit too, so I was very nervous about getting it on myself. This time was electronic. Much cooler. Apparently I didn’t burn off my fingertips when I worked in restaurants.
2. I started Crossfit again. I am just in need of a major change with my fitness and this is a great way for me to get back on track. The gym was amazing and I am super excited about getting back into it. I never felt that comfortable at crossfit but maybe Tucson is the place for me to do that! I did a lot of burpees and power snatches last night. Weeeeeeee. I probably look more like this than this.
3. I am officially obsessed with the Gilmore Girls. I play it constantly on my Kindle Fire and carry it with me from room to room while I am doing things around the house. Lorelai annoys me slightly but also reminds me of a good friend (in a good way) and I adore Rory so much. I have no idea why I didn’t watch the show when it was on TV but I am glad I have it now! Now Lorelai and Luke need to get together (no spoilers, I’m on season 4).
4. I am in a major purge of EVERYTHINGGGGGGG. It’s a long story but my clothes have been in a storage unit far away from me for over a year. So when we were reunited, I was motivated to junk a lot of them. Two large trash bags later and now I am itching to be rid of more stuff. Why is there so much stuff everywhere??? It takes time but, it feels so good when it is gone. I am trying to replace things and not add to the clutter. One in, one out.
5. I am in a cooking rut. I think I have too many options from which to choose. I just got Homemade Decadence, by Joy Wilson and Plenty More, by Yotam Ottolenghi, but I haven’t made a single dish from either. I keep dragging them out, paging through half the book and putting it down and doing nothing. I was using Seriously Delish, by Jessica Merchant a ton when I first got it and love it, I think I just need to make a concerted effort to use books and not the internet.
In my opinion, it’s not too late to join the Joy the Baker Podcast Summer Bucket List because summer starts on 6/21. Ok so now that that is out of the way…dumdumdadum….
Summer Bucket List 2012!
- shop at the Farmer’s market twice a month
- go to Crossfit 3 times per week
- make grapefruit curd sandwich cookies
- make a Paleo ice cream, a sorbet and a fruit ice cream
- eat lunch at City Bakery
- make this cake for my birthday: Seven Sins Chocolate Cake
- make 2 new recipes per week and blog them!
- get my nails painted a not pink/red color….eek I’m nervous about this one!!
Phew, I’m tired just reading it! I can’t wait to update you on my adventures. I will say that I went to Crossfit 3 times this week and my hip flexors are out of control sore. Like woah. Time to eat some dark chocolate and rest up for the farmer’s market tomorrow morning!!
Man, this month has just flown by. I finished finals, did a whirlwind visit with Sparky’s parents and (re)started my summer job (I had been working there part time during March and April). The last few weeks, I feel like I am just getting my sea legs back, plus getting used to a regular work week. I think I am back to share some recipes with ya’ll. Anyway, before we get to that, I simply must discuss the amazing box that I received from Julie at Julie Goes Healthy.
First off, I was delighted to meet her because we both lived in NC at one point. She has since moved back to Cali and I requested local items. Ya’ll, Julie has set the bar super high! Every treat was special, delicious and Sparky and I tore through that box pretty darn fast. In fact, this is all I have to show for it:
So lame. We just couldn’t stop nibbling and I just never took a picture. So the goods were:
- “Have a Corn Chips” – Laguna Beach, CA
- “By Hand Granola” – Hermosa Beach, CA
- Chocolate Covered Corn Flakes from Christopher Michael Chocolates – Costa Mesa, CA
- These amazing raw peanut butter cookies that I loved tremendously
- A super delish granola that I ate before I went to work out
- and Acai Berry Sambazon energy drink – the one thing that I am saving, perhaps it will get consumed this weekend!!
Thanks, Julie – you are an amazing pen pal! Thanks for such a special box of treats.
If you are interested in participating in the foodie pen pals, the awesome Lindsay at the Lean Green Bean has organized this and you can learn how to participate here.
Although I am still on my yucky finals hiatus, I had my hardest exam earlier today and I am in need of a little break. I did not want to go without discussing my awesome April Foodie Penpal this month! Seriously, ya’ll, I was lucky to get matched up with Emily over at More Than Just Dessert! She asked my what my preferences were and I since she is also in graduate school, I told her to hook me up with some study treats. She totally delivered (figuratively and literally! tee hee).
I am a bit embarrassed that all of this is gone by now!! On the savory side, Emily included sweet potato chips and microwave popcorn. For my favorite, sweets, she included a few Luna bars, including the tasty Blueberry Bliss, which was a new flavor to me and S’More, which is an old favorite! She also included peanut butter stuffed chocolate coated pretzels from TJ’s and (yum yum town!) and Justin’s chocolate hazelnut butter. Justin’s was also new to me and is definitely getting added to the rotation! Finally, She included some fruit leather and chai mix. Both are delish. Anyway, there is nothing more fun to get treats in the mail, especially edible ones! If you are interested in taking part, there is information at the bottom of the post with directions on how to join in!
…Back to studying!!!
-On the 5th of the month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
-You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
-The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
-You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
-Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you can choose to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.
- Foodie Penpals is open to US, Canadian residents & UK residents. Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. We’ve determined things might get too slow and backed up if we’re trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa. So, I’m going to keep two separate lists and match US w/ US and Canada w/ Canada!
***If you’re in the UK, please contact Carol Anne from This Is Rock Salt at email@example.com to get involved!
If you are reading this, I am furiously studying for finals. Therefore, I am taking a little break from this for a few weeks. Happy April! I will see you in May!