For the past 3 months, I have eaten the same thing for breakfast pretty much every day: a banana and an egg muffin (or two, depending on how hungry I am). The mix of veggies in the egg muffins vary, depending on what we have in the fridge and my mood but I find that protein rich start to the day makes all the difference.
I make a batch of 12 (or 13) of them on Sunday morning and we are set for the week. I heat them in the microwave for 1 minute and that’s it!
1 tablespoons EVOO
1 onion, chopped finely
1/2 bell pepper, chopped finely
2 turkey sausages, out of casing
8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
12 eggs, beaten (or 6 eggs beaten and 1 1/2 cups of “egg whites” only)
3/4 cup of grated carrots
1 cup of chopped spinach
1. Preheat the oven for 350. Spray 12 muffin cups with Pam.
2. Heat the EVOO in a saucepan over medium heat, add the onions, peppers, sausage and mushrooms. Break the sausage into small pieces while cooking. Cook mixture until softened and the sausage is cooked through. Let cool.
3. Beat the eggs, stir in grated carrots and spinach. Add the sausage mixture.
4. Ladle the egg mixture into the muffin tins with a 1/4 measuring cup. Tin should be full.
5. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Take out, let cool in tins and use a butter knife to loosen up the egg muffins from the tins.