Sweet Alexis over at A Simple Spoon really outdid herself. She lives in New England and stuck to local treats, which I love! Alexis sent me Effie’s Homemade Oatcakes and I love the crunch and the slight sweetness. Also, the Biena Chickpea Snacks were an awesome afternoon snack and with cinnamon maple on them, they are sweet enough to keep your tastebuds happy until dinner, and they have an amazing crunch!!
Kathie’s Kitchen SuperSeedz in sugar and cinnamon were another amazing afternoon snack too! I love pumpkin seeds and this was the perfect fall flavor! I have thrown them into salads and I love the flavor they add. Lastly, Alexis threw in chocolate for good measure, which I mean who in their right mind would turn down chocolate?!
Foodie penpals is great fun (as you can see) and if you are interested in joining us, please go to The Lean Green Bean to learn more!
1. Well, here we are, another Friday, linking with Lauren Elizabeth for High Five for Friday! Today is unusual because it looks nothing like the above photo. It is raining in the desert, and it seems, most of the country! I find rain to be a bit depressing, I am not one of these people that looks forward to it, but since it is a novelty, I will take it!
2. Earlier this week, I had the opportunity to go to the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix, AZ to see the Chihuly in the Garden exhibit. I have seen his work in Seattle, which is displayed inside and outdoors, but I think it is the most beautiful when displayed in gardens, where he works with the space and the naturally occurring plants and landscape. If you have the chance to see his work, I would encourage you to go!
3. It has been a banner week, and I even lucked out with a gift of new ballet flats. My mother in law insisted, so here I am, the proud owner of new Cole Haan “Manhattan” Ballet Flats. I got black patent leather. If you are in the market for flats, these are a bit expensive, but Cole Haan has great quality and these are super comfortable!
4. Now that we are upon the last weekend before Thanksgiving, I am sure you are planning, shopping, and prepping in anticipation of the big day. Last year I put together some lists of recipes that I love:
Are you ready for the weekend? We have a few fun things planned, but I have had a banner week so I’m trying to stay in the present! Let’s do this thang.
1. I PASSED THE NEW YORK BAR EXAM!!! I took the exam on my birthday during the summer (ick) and it was the hardest thing I have ever done. I got a text from a friend on Tuesday that the results would be coming out at midnight EST. Of course Tuesday was shot. I spent an inordinate amount of time googling things about the test (don’t do that) and then my husband and I went to a movie and dinner to keep my mind off of things. I am very proud of myself and couldn’t have done it without the greatest friends, family, and God.
2. The picture at the top is from our fabulous time apple picking earlier this week. Although we are living in the desert, we travelled to Willcox, AZ to pick apples at Apple Annies. Willcox is very rural and the orchard is on a huge farm that has tons of other things. Because we went there so late in the season, things were a bit picked over, but we had no trouble picking 6 pounds of granny smith apples in a quick 15 minutes. It was nice to get a bit of fall. If you are in Tucson, I highly recommend the trip!
3. If you have a chance, I highly recommend the movie, Haute Cuisine. We already had plans to see it on Tuesday and when I was playing the waiting game for my bar results, it was just the ticket. It is a lovely little film about a woman who was the personal chef for the French President. her role was to make lunch for the president and a small number of guests. While somewhat panned by critics, I found it to be delightful. If you enjoy movies about food, this one is for you.
4. I already have Thanksgiving on the brain. I love planning big meals almost as much as making them! Although I am not hosting, I am in a position to exert influence over the menu and will definitely be in the kitchen on the big day. Is there anything you are looking forward to making this year?